Sunday, March 8, 2015

Blogged while listening to Sam Smith.

I wish I was better at blogging. I'm just all over the place and can never get all my thoughts together. The hunny got me tickets to Sam Smith this summer so I'm listening to him while I write this blog. I'm exhausted. The family and I went on a weekend getaway to New York. We tried out for Family Feud. Unfortunately I wasn't as healthy as I would've liked. I tried my best but I slipped a bit. I had the most AMAZING perfect Cannoli cake. It was everything and more. Luckily we walked about 9 miles in the city. 

It felt so good to be back at Genghis this afternoon. Today's challenge was talking about the benefits of brown rice/whole grains in a diet. For the last few weeks I've taken most carbs out of my diet but today I got brown rice in my bowl. I forgot how filling it was! Without researching I can assume that one of the benefits was that it fills you up... Lets see...

Brown Rice Health Benefits: 

1. Rich in Selenium selenium  reduces the risk for developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
2. High in Manganese Manganese helps the body synthesize fats. Manganese also benefits our nervous and reproductive systems.
3. Rich in Naturally-Occurring Oils Naturally occurring oils are beneficial for the body as these healthful fats help normalize cholesterol levels.
4. Promotes Weight Loss The fiber content of brown rice keeps bowel function at it’s peak since it makes digestion that much easier. Brown rice is the perfect addition to the daily diet for those seeking bowel regularity. In addition, brown rice also makes the tummy feel full which translates to smaller meal portions.
5. Considered Whole Grain Brown rice is considered a whole grain since it hasn’t lost its “wholeness” through the refinement process. Wholes grains are proven to reduce the buildup of arterial plaque and reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.
6. Rich in Anti-Oxidants 

7. High in Fiber Brown rice is high in fiber and on top of the list for foods that can help prevent colon cancer. These fibers attach to substances that cause cancer as well as to toxins in the body, thus eliminating them and keeping them from attaching to the colon wall.
8. A Slow-Release Sugar Brown rice helps stabilize blood sugar levels; therefore, it’s an excellent food choice for those suffering from diabetes. Studies show that those who consume one half cup of brown rice daily reduce their risks of developing diabetes by 60%. On the other hand, those who consume white rice regularly increase their chances of developing diabetes one hundred-fold.
This website has a lot of great information. Although I took out eating brown rice to loose weight faster, after reading all the great benefits I may try to incorporate eating brown rice at least once a week :)

This website has a lot of great information about healthy eating and individual facts about different foods:
Read more at http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/10-reasons-why-brown-rice-is-the-healthy-choice/#Sd7k6MmzGeIBCo50.99

No comments:

Post a Comment